Friday, March 30, 2007

The Church

© John Martine 2007

Every Sunday morning my mother took me there
Put on my brown leisure suit and I combed my hair
The organist was 90, the Deacon he was swell
When he told me to repent or go to hell

(Chorus)
The church ain't a building, the church ain't a place
The church ain't an organ playing 'Amazing Grace'
The church has an author in case you haven't heard
The church is his body living out his word

I've served on committees that were really fine
Argued about carpets and communion wine
The people all got angry when the sermon took too long
Please help me God where did we get it wrong?
(chorus)

I've given up the battle of changing all we've done
and look to find a new way of following the Son
I'm working out salvation with trembling and fear
Please give us eyes to see and ears to hear
(chorus)

I'm sorry Jesus that we got it wrong
And I probably should apologize for writing down this song
Teach us to feed the hungry and to become the meek
And to be your people seven days a week
(chorus)

No comments: