Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Some Thoughts

Well, we're off and running. It was good to see a couple of comments here and better to hear from some of you I haven't spoken to in awhile via email. Please, feel free to leave your comments even if (especially if!) you don't agree with me. Healthy debate facilitates learning.

I was thinking about this on the way home tonight.

I believe in God the Father, creator of heaven and earth....

Almost every culture in every part of the world believes in a creator. Is this some wild pipe dream shared by a species that simply fabricates an omnipotent father figure out of some psychological need for a daddy in the sky? Nope. We are created in His image. I believe that his seed is planted in every heart and mind and that we are given the choice to freely accept or reject Him. There is no love without that choice. I believe the very nature of our universe and the intricate relationships that exist to support life are just too perfect to suggest random chance (but I'll leave that debate to the scientists and theology experts).

God is present every time my little girl smiles at me. He's there when we pull together to help others in times of crisis. He's there when I get angry at him. He's there when a friend dies. He's there for us when we fight addictions and hit rock bottom. He's there when we ask Him to be even if we don't realize it at the time. God's grace is limitless. He accepts us even before we accept Him. He knows we'll screw up - it's the only thing we do perfectly on a consistent basis. He uses the least among us to do great things. He came to us in humility to teach us to serve each other and simply love as we wish to be loved. Why can't we learn that simple fact and turn away from judgement and debates on sexuality? There are no simple solutions to the problems that plague the world but I am learning that we can make every life better by practicing what He teaches us. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. It's certainly not a Darwinian concept but just imagine... what would that world be like?

No comments: